My Innovation Day

Hi everyone,

So I’ve be doing Innovation day about the medival times. I was asked to make a castle with a working drawbridge. The Medieval times were about 10 centuries ago. At this time there was a system in place that put people in order of powers. I researched about the Lords and Serfs. The King and Lords lived in castles.

This is the difference of Lords and Serfs:

The Lords
Lords could do what ever they wanted. Lords were rich they lived in big and beautiful house. They also had servants. They wore lovly clothes all day. They owned the land that the Serfs used. They got to learn.

The Serfs
Serfs were poor peolpe. They wore riped and old clothes. They had to work all day on the land that the Lords owned. They lived in smal mud and straw houses. They did not get to learn and they were treated very badly.

Here are some facts about castles:

• Did you know that they stored water in the walls of the castle?
  • Did you know that the king and his family were the only ones that slept in the castle?
  • Did you know that some times there would be villages in the castles walls. This would be for protection.
  • Did you know that there were holes in the castle called arrowslits that archer used?
  • Did you know that there were a lot of walls in the castle?
  • Did you know that the servents slept were ever but not the bedrooms?

Hypothesis:

(I am so sorry that the vidoe is very glitchy and wird it hapend with all the videos.)

So this is how my castle looked during the building process:

This is my gear and pulley system:

This is my procedure for my castle:

This is my tour of my finshed castle:

Self reflecting :

This is my building process. I started with just thinking only about a pulley system but if I wanted to upgrade it to the next level I had to add a gear system.  I tried lots of ideas but none of them worked. Ms.M was my thinking partner and she saw that I was having a problem with my gear system.

This how I problem solve:

I started with just getting one gear sticked to the casle wall. But I quickly realized it needed an axel to spin. I then started geting a big problem with the rope. It would fall off a lot. So I invented the flap to help the rope stay on the gear. That’s how we problem solve and it worked!

Conclusion

In real life lifting a heavy a bridge with a rope would be impossible with gears. Gear make make heavy lifting easier and faster.

3 thoughts on “My Innovation Day

1. Madelaine Werier April 9, 2022 / 5:18 pm

I really liked how you explained your trouble shooting and problem solving for the design! That’s what real builders and scientists do! Great work!!!

• animallover018 April 13, 2022 / 1:16 pm

Thank you so much😺 Here and there would have a proble and I would have to problem solve it but it was to make my castel.

2. animallover018 April 13, 2022 / 1:17 pm